CHOCOLATE OLIVE OIL ICE CREAM
Master Miller Garcia de la Cruz Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil recommended
- 3oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, plus more for serving
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
- ½ tsp kosher salt (use slightly less if using table salt)
- 6 tbsp Garcia de la Cruz Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fleur de sel, for sprinkling (optional)
- Mint (optional)
- Place chopped chocolate in a large heat proof bowl. Set a cooling rack and sieve nearby for later use.
- Place milk and cream in a medium-sized pot. Warm over medium heat until mix comes to a gentle simmer. Stir in cocoa and salt.
- While milk mixture heats, place yolks and sugar in a bowl. Whisk vigorously until mixture becomes pale yellow, thick and creamy, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- After milk mixture comes to a simmer, ladle about ½ cup into the egg mixture while constantly whisking. Slowly whisk in tempered egg mixture in the pot with the remaining milk mixture.
- Continue to whisk constantly for 3-5 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour cooked ice cream base through sieve into bowl with chopped chocolate. Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes so chocolate melts. Whisk to combine. Place bowl over cooling rack and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Stream Garcia de la Cruz Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil into ice cream base and whisk constantly until emulsified.
- Once ice cream base has cooled to room temperature, cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Transfer to a container and allow to set up for at least an additional 2 hours in the freezer before serving
- Scoop ice cream and serve topped with fleur de sel, chopped chocolate or/and mint, if desired.